OMG, Santa came early today. I have a full bag of new books to read.
Nothing fills me with more veneration, awe and reverence than the arrival of a book I am looking forward to reading. With an eagerness and fervor that I only see when my kids devour the wrapping on the Christmas gifts under the tree, I pillage the packaging and engross myself in my new treasures. Fortunately for me, I will not be working until January 2012. I have taken the time from work to edit and revise my first legal thriller before I begin the query process.
That leaves me extra time to fulfill my inner need to read and read and read...
I don't think I have ever received this many awesome sounding books at one time. I am an avid reader and I am almost always reading at least two novels at any given time in addition to anywhere from one to four non fiction books, usually how to writing books or any kind of book designed to help me improve my craft. And with the increasing availability of books on Kindle or other e-format, I am reading even more books, the ones that I can take with me wherever I go.
This morning I received a box full of greatly anticipated arrivals & I received a second UPS package this afternoon. I also purchased some great finds on Amazon and downloaded to my kindle over the weekend. It might sound like I have my work cut out for me, but reading is never work for me. It is always pleasure
Here is a list of my arrivals over the weekend, yesterday & today. Kindle downloads will be in a second post.
- THE PLOT WHISPERER , Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master by Martha Alderson, Founder of PlotWrMo. I received this book on Monday and I am on page 151 of 233 and I cannot say enough good things about this book. I probably own a library full of Writer's How To books that range from outstanding to "why did I waste my money". This book is in the Outstanding category. I can already tell that THE PLOT WHISPERER will be added to my short list of "must have" & "go to" reference books for writing. You know the books we keep beside us while we write. This is one.
I intend to write a complete review on each of my recent purchases, but for now I wanted to say that Martha Alderson, has for the first time, provided me a full understanding of left vs. right brain writers-the individual struggles each type of writer faces and a comprehensive understanding of both type of writers strengths. And finally a plan of attack to complete projects that I can fully see and comprehend. This book is full of useful and practical writing advice and examples.
2. THE WRITER'S COMPASS: From Story Map To Finished Draft In 7 Stages by Nancy Ellen Dodd. I have not had an opportunity to read this book as it arrived today, but skimming the contents has me eager to jump in.
3. SPUNK & BITE A Writer's Guide to Bold, Contemporary Style, by Arthur Plotnik, author of The Elements of Editing . This is not a new book, it was copyrighted in 2007, but it is new to me. I cannot remember exactly where, but a blogger suggested this book and it looks to be full of wisdom and wit.
4. WRITING GREAT BOOKS FOR YOUNG ADULTS by Regina Brooks. This is the first book that focuses on YA writing that I have purchased. My 15 year old daughter's interest in writing prompted this purchase. She began high school this year and her love for literature is evolving into a desire to write, which excites me. This book also arrived today so I have not had an opportunity to explore it .
5. PLUG YOUR NOVEL by Steve Weber, arrived today
6. WRITER'S MARKET GUIDE TO GETTING PUBLISHED from The Editors of Writer's Digest and
7. 2012 NOVEL & SHORT STORY WRITER'S MARKET . Both of these were gifts from my husband that he purchased over the weekend.
8. DEFENSIVE WOUNDS by one of my favorite authors, Lisa Black, a bookstore purchase over the weekend
9. LETHAL AMBITION by Michael Swiger. This booked arrived by mail last Friday. This is not a new book, it was published in 2007. I am on a crusade to read every book that has won or been nominated for the Edgar Award, Thriller Award, or other mystery & suspense award. I am particularly interested in reading every debut novel. LETHAL AMBITION is an Edward Meed Legal Thriller.
10. THE SURROGATE, a novel by Tania Carver
So I am very excited, but also disappointed. I have not received, Jolene Perry's THE NEXT DOOR BOYS, I did however track my Amazon package and Hooray, it is currently out for delivery in my city.
I was hoping THE NEXT DOOR BOYS would arrive earlier in the day so I could start reading, but it gives me something to look forward to this evening.
This is quite a lengthy list already and a lengthy post so I will make a second post to list all of my Kindle and Smashwords purchases.
I will be busy reading tonight, that is a given. I hope I get some sleep.